The strategic objectives of CEIMAR are the following:
- To develop marine science and technology by bringing together and promoting cooperation between academic staff, researchers, managers and students in the universities comprising the Campus.
- To create a powerful "Science-Technology-Business" system to generate knowledge and technologies related to the sea, and to transfer that knowledge to other parties active and interested in the maritime field with the aim of promoting competitiveness and socio-economic development in the geographical area of the CEIMAR.
- To support innovation in education and training, and make effective use of new technologies in teaching, so that the member institutions provide attractive, relevant and comprehensive teaching in areas of knowledge associated with the sea.
- To attract, retain and integrate talented and committed students, researchers, teachers and supporting staff, both nationally and internationally, for all activities related to the marine environment.
- To integrate the distinctive capabilities of all the entities brought together in the campus, creating a cross-border CEIMAR network for teaching, research, knowledge transfer, heritage preservation, and the advancement of social and cultural values in all areas associated with the sea.
- To encourage research related to the sea in the context of collaboration with international institutions of high-prestige working in areas of research that are also of interest to the CEIMAR and also in emerging areas.
- To create an International Research and Transfer Center for the Sea tasked with coordinating and managing the activities of the participating scientific centers and the infrastructures of the CEIMAR.
- To consolidate the CEIMAR as a Campus of international reference that is unique in the south of Europe, given that its territory covers not only the Mediterranean Sea - Atlantic Ocean nexus but also the interface between the African and European continents, as well as being a point of connection and cooperation with other continents in respect of the marine environment.
- To encourage the sustainable development of the territories where the institutions of the Campus are based, thorough the development of science and technology that would foster the consolidation of maritime sectors of industry and the creation of new businesses in emerging sectors related to the sea.
- To provide new management models capable of integrating economic interests with the preservation of resources and so contribute to Society's response to the challenge of achieving sustainable development.
- To develop a practical and exemplary social model that would operate within the Campus, transmitting its values of sustainability, equality and culture to Society.