One of the main uses of the ocean as a system is for the obtaining of resources for the development and maintenance of human activity. The resources of the sea in which CEI•MAR specializes may be differentiated into different sub-areas:
- "Biological Resources", including the study and sustainable management of our "Fisheries resources", the research and innovation techniques of "Aquaculture" and the obtaining and study of applications of "Natural Marine Products" through biotechnology.
- "Mineral Resources", including the obtaining of "minerals" or "salts" from the sea obtaining "rocks" of commercial interest from the seabed, and the extraction and management of "sediments".
- "Energetic Resources", distinguishing between "Non-renewable energy resources of marine origin", including those coming from "Fossil Fuels" (gas and petrol) and "Renewable natural resources of marine origin" such as "Tidal Energy". To the group of renewables must be added the energy potential of "Biomass" from plants and marine algae and the potential of "Wind Energy".
- "Scenic Resources". In CEIMAR’s territory tourism presents a unique opportunity for economic development for the area, especially by promoting quality sea based tourism which can integrate itself harmoniously into the social and environmental fabric of the coast.
- "Water as a Resource for Purification". The territory covered by CEIMAR is a zone that periodically suffers from grave droughts which put the supply of drinking water to the population at risk. The processes for the desalinization of sea water have been studied and implemented for decades with high quality results being produced.
More information about the The Supply of Resources from the Sea, teaching offer and participating research groups:.
26th/apr Curso de "Socorrista Acuático"
Copyright © 2011 CEI·MAR